Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pursue Him

So often we spend our whole life chasing after something or someone, only to find ourselves tired, exhausted, and disappointed. It seems to be like a dog chasing the ever elusive tail... So close but yet just out of reach. The faster you run, the faster it goes! What are you chasing? Are you chasing success? Money? Friendship? Relationship? Fame? Peace? Happiness? Security?

I remember one thing I wanted more than anything was to find the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with. I thought I knew what I wanted. I spent 7 years pursuing what I thought I wanted. I had my mind set. I even let God know what I wanted. I asked and begged Him for it. Still nothing. Then, I gave up pursuing the thing and starting pursuing Him. Shortly after, God brought to me what I didn't even know I wanted! He brought me what His word promises, more than I could ask or even imagine. He brought it to me without me even asking. God let me know He knows what I want and need even more than I do! He knows me better than I know myself. He is a Good God!

When you stop pursuing that thing and start pursuing Him, He will give you or bring to you that which you always wanted and needed and may not even know it! Did you know He knows you better than you know yourself? Did you know He wants what is best for you? Did you know that He will allow you to choose His best or what you think is best? That's the beauty of freewill.

My God will supply all of my needs according to His riches in glory... And He is very rich in Glory! God promises to give you the desires of your heart. Did you know that? This is His promise to us. But this promise comes with a pre-requisite. Do you want to know what it is? OK. Here it goes. Are you ready? This is it... You must "delight yourself in Him!" That's it! If you want God to give you the desires of your heart, simply delight yourself in Him. Don't believe me? That's what the Bible says. See for yourself: Psalms 37:4.

Why is this? I'm glad you asked! You see, when we are delighting ourselves in Him, the desires of our heart begin to change to match the desires of His heart! Oh how He loves to grant those desires!

The first commandment is this: Love God more than anything! Boy... You could pretty much do away with the other nine and: #1 Spend a lifetime living this one out; #2 Fulfill the other nine if you do! If we truly love Him more than anything, everything else will fall into place. All that we need and want is found in Him. He is our all in all. Our peace, our joy, the supply of all of our needs is found in Him.

Stop pursuing things! Start pursuing Him! Even good things, it doesn't matter... Finding your soul mate is a good thing. Raising a family is a good thing. Building a church or a business is a good thing. Fulfilling your dreams and desires is a good thing. Getting a job, a house, a car, whatever, good things. Stop pursuing things! Start pursuing Him! Seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you! Believe it!

God, let everything else fade in the light of You! I want You to be first, before anything and everything else. I want to have 'no other gods before You!' Let my love for everything else seem like hatred compared to my love for You. I trust You. I know that You have my best interests in mind. I know that You created me, and You know me better than I know myself. You know my heart's true desires, and You want to fulfill them. I was created to know You and to love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment